Monday 30 January 2012

Center fresh and Sour grapes

‘One thing about trains: It doesn’t matter where they’re going. What matters is deciding to get on.’- The conductor, The Polar Express.

I love travelling by train (preferably 2nd class). The sounds, the colours, the wind, the people, the rush. Best of all the scenery. Nothing can beat the feeling of wind in your face while standing near the door watching life speed by.
It’s been years since I travelled long distance via rail. Making up to it I went on two trips in the last six months. It was a 2 days trip to Tanjore in August and a 10 days trip to Rajasthan this month. More on Rajasthan (my latest love) in the upcoming posts. This one is solely for the journeys.

You see I was forced to make the first trip to visit my paternal grandma with Amma. And hence I didn't enjoy it much (even though I had packed up six fat books for the journey). The co-passengers just made it worse. It was either oldies or stupid noisy messy school boys who threw garbage out of the window. If there is one thing I can't stand not only in train but generally in public places is people littering. So one mean Jurassic park look kept the boys away from me.
I spent the time finishing off the books and texting my friends, asking them to pray that something like Source Code (Jake. Sigh) should happen to me. While polambifying we came up with theories on why there is no guy (forget good looking) or even a girl of same age in the same coach (forget compartment) in which you are travelling.
Me – ‘It happens in movies only. Not just the same compartment but opposite seats. In reality everyone takes the flight.’
Kiruku – ‘They travel not only through air but also by rail. But they just don't travel when we do.’
DL – ‘The reason for travel plays a role. If it happens to be collateral for romance, you will meet good looking ones. For example if you are travelling to see your lover or something like that then you will meet someone in the train. But if you happen to be going to see your grandma or something, you will meet oldies only.’
And I was going to see my grandma. So it was pretty much texting, reading, and watching scenery.

However my trip to Rajasthan was a vacation, so I kinda hoped to have decent company in the train (apart from my parents). So with such great expectations I scanned the list in my coach and to my absolute delight there was one Mr.A aged 22 travelling in my cabin till Jaipur! My source code dream was finally coming true. Anyway I had one hour to kill (Amma likes to be in station one hour before the train leaves) so I roamed around the platform in boredom when a gentle breeze disturbed my dupatta. As I tried to calm down my dupatta, I saw him. He seemed to be walking in slow motion or so I imagined. 6 feet, well built, great moustache (like Imran khan here) tik tak complexion and great hair. There I was waiting for him to walk past me when he stopped right in front of me. Our eyes met for a second (I almost melted in that spot) and he got into the coach. Only when I came out of the trance I realized that he is Mr.A. I couldn’t believe that a more than decent looking guy is going to travel with me for one and a half days.
As the train started, Appa asked all those useless questions one would usually ask. He is A.Chowdhary from Ajmer, almost finished M.B.A in some college in outskirts of Chennai, now going home, and will be back in May to submit project. The rest of the evening was uneventful.
The next day I woke up to find him buried in his book, Appa in newspaper, and Amma still half asleep. I spent the morning finishing off Rahman’s biography (A.R.Rahman the Musical Storm by Kamini Mathai), occasionally reading out interesting paragraphs to my parents (and him). Every now and then Appa did small talk with him, I tried to chip by offering him a center fresh but he politely declined. I had moved on to some Paulo Coelho book in the afternoon when he asked if he could borrow Rahman’s biography, I silently nodded and handed it over to him while I had fireworks going off in my head. Eventually I got bored of Paulo, watching scenery through window, counting tunnels with Amma (and the fact that nothing ever happens to me), so I went to watch the sunset from doorway.

I got lost in bliss as the sun went down behind the fields, lakes, trees, hills while the wind played with my already messy hair. I was so lost in the rhythm of the train that I actually didn't notice him until he commented on the chilly weather and told me that I shouldn't stay in the wind for long unless I wanted a headache. I was startled to see him standing right beside me. I couldn't avert my gaze away from his soulful eyes. I must have blanked out for god knows how long and landed back on earth only when he cleared his throat. I tore my eyes away from his and tried to remember what he had just told me. I managed to compose myself and the butterflies in my stomach and replied (thankfully without stuttering) that the headache is the price I pay to see the gorgeous sunset. He told me that this is nothing compared to the beautiful sunsets and sunrises that I will get to see once I get to Rajasthan. I inquired more about Rajasthan, and he patiently told me all the must see spots and the need not see places. The conversation moved on to Chennai, Books, Rahman etc. I don’t want to bore you with the details. The sunset was forgotten in the long conversation.
Did you actually believe that? Hello! Wake up. What did you think this was? Another Before Sunrise /Sunset movie? Only the center fresh conversation happened.
Me-‘Would you like to have one?’
Him (with a smile and in a really nice deep voice)-‘No thank you.’
He had asked my father if he could borrow the book, and I had watched the sunset alone while he was in the cabin with my book. The train reached Jaipur around 6a.m the next day, he returned the book to my father and hurried off with an ‘enjoy your trip’.
Well who wants sour grapes? He was reading a Chetan Bhagat book! I mean which self-respecting individual would want to be caught dead with a Chetan Bhagat book? Ugh, not my type.

On the way back home, we had the cabin (first class only, didn't get second class since we booked really late) for ourselves. And my Before Sunrise dream remains a dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment