Tuesday 7 February 2012

Hey Goodbye Nanba..


Trrriiinng!! I would hurry out pushing my way through the mob and manage to make it downstairs only to remember that I had forgotten my lunch bag under my desk. I would beg the auto uncle to wait for 2 seconds, and I would rush upstairs grab my lunch bag, shouting bye to my friends for the second time (The first time would have been before the bell rang) only to get in the auto just before he starts. And I would be home before 3 (School ends at 2:40p.m).
This was My Life till 8th standard. But my dream finally came true in 8th. Amma let me to go to school in a Bicycle (had gotten postponed for 3 years because of my stupid wheezing problem). My parents got me a Brand New BSA Ladybird (I was using my Brother's rusted old cycle before this).
Going to school by cycle redefined my freedom. I no longer needed to rush out the minute the bell rang in fear of being left behind (It took me a few days to get used to this). I need not pack my school bag or check if I had left something under the desk 15 minutes before the bell (Not that I listened in class). No need to tell tata to everyone quietly (i.e. without getting caught for talking during class) before the bell. I also got to show off my Brand New Shiny cycle and a brand new shiny key chain.
The Best of all was that I got to chat with my friends as long as I wanted. Okay not as long as I wanted since I was given a deadline. Amma would panic if I don’t make it home by 3:30. But still that was awesome. Home was only 10 minutes away so I had more than half an hour to spare. However 15 minutes would be lost in trying to get my cycle out of the parking without any scratch. Another 5 minutes in packing the luggage (school bag) securely on the carrier. After all this we would all say tata to each other and everyone would go in their way, leaving the four of us behind since we have to go in the same way. So V, B, R, and I would bid goodbye to Kiruku(only if her van was still there by the time we come out, which happens once in a blue moon), then we would go to our favourite petti kadai and discuss how to not finish our homework over boomers. V would take the right turn to her home and the 3 of us walked till B’s turning. After that R and I would cycle for a few yards and then go our separate ways home. This was our routine for 3 years.We used to have kiruku or someone else also in the petti kadai chat every now and then. And for a year we also had another girl with us who lived just few streets away from me. Sridevi alias Meena joined our boomer sangam. For the first time I had cycling partner. We used talk all the way home and get blasted by autowalas for that. We never found out why it bothered them when we cycled and talked. She left the school in 9th. So in the end it was just the four of us and boomer.
Cycling to school also had its share of problems. For the first few months Appa followed me till school to make sure I reached safely. Thankfully no one but a few close friends knew it. And it wasn't blown into full scale kalaichyfing material. Every now and then there was a “he he he doesn’t your father follow you till school every morning? “, and I would always have some retort or the other saved up for this occasion.
I had all my lifetime savings of shiny Disney cartoon stickers stuck on the already shiny cycle. Almost all of it disappeared when I checked my cycle during lunch hour on the very first day. I spent a few days patrolling the cycle stand during lunch time and scream at any kid who dares to get near my cycle. But I found a better solution to this problem. Parking it a space where it would inaccessible to anyone. Wedge it in between the pillar and some old rusty cycle. No one would be able see my cycle beyond the rusty mess called cycle.
After 10th I changed school and went right back to the phase one. This time I had to go and return in school van. Appa had dropped be off before the cycling days in the old school. But now I had get up early and get ready faster and rush to gate when I hear the horn. I missed cycling to school very much. I managed to make it up by cycling to meet up with my best friends N, V, and B.
After School I got the chance to use my cycle again. CA classes. I didn’t realise then that it would be my last 6 months spent closely with my best friend of more than 6 years. I got my very own scooty in February 2011. That marked the beginning of the end of an era. I only took the cycle out once in a month. I felt very guilty about killing the spirit of my cycle like phoebe here. I kept promising myself that I will use it every day. But the scooty proved to be a good competitor. It slowly replaced my cycle in every place. I took the scooty out to CA classes, to visit N, V, (B is not in Chennai now) Kiruku etc. I begged my parents not to sell. Water works did the job first time. But it doesn’t always work. I had to bid goodbye to it today.
I will always remember my cycling days. My Scooty can never ever replace the joy of my ladybird. I hope it is in good hands now.


Oh and all the kitties would like to say something too. " Meow meow meow. Purrr meem eeoow purrrr. Meow meow meeeem. Meow purrr."
Translation- " You were our favorite hangout in the whole neighbourhood. Our human calls herself a cyclist because of you (shouldn't it be humanist?). So we should be called catalist (adhan typist, terrorist, vasoolist andhan list la varra catalist). It makes us very sad that the present cat generation wouldn't get to know the awesome you."



All of them agree that the cycle was their best nap time place ever.

Jingles, Salem, Alice, Billa.
Jingles and Billa feel that this was better to play with than any spin of yarn.

Salem wants to mention that it was his favorite bath tub too.



No comments:

Post a Comment